clocks: (Fassy)
Clocks ([personal profile] clocks) wrote2012-01-16 08:04 am
NSFW

The Snowflake Challenge - Part 1

So I missed out on doing the Snowflake Challenge when it started on 1 Jan, but the wonderful [personal profile] ninemoons42 suggested doing it on the 16th in one fell swoop (and posting it in two parts) so that's what I'm doing as well.

Day 1

In your own space, post a rec for at least three fanworks that you have created. It can be your favorite fanworks that you've created, or fanworks you feel no one ever saw, or fanworks you say would define you as a creator. Drop a link to your post in the comments.

1. 'Our House, In The Middle Of Our Street'
(X-Men: First Class, Charles/Erik, NC-17)
This was the second XMFC fic I wrote (the first one was a horrendous AU about Charles trying to pick Erik up at a bar when they're both in Munich for a genetics conference.) You know how sometimes, when you're writing a story or drawing art, there's this one particular scene that is particularly vivid for you? For this story, it was the scene where Erik came back to Charles in the last chapter. I kept looking forward to writing that part (of course, I hadn't bargained on how painful it would be to make Erik leave.) I still get 'scenes' from that universe floating through my head, and I think I might do an epilogue for it someday.

2. 'Underdog
(My Own Private Idaho, Mike Waters/Scott Favor, R)
I was obsessed with this movie once upon a time, and I was really dismayed that there was so little fic about Mike and Scott (at that time, AO3 didn't exist.) I wrote this for a friend who liked the pairing as well, and it's one of the fics where I don't cringe when I look it over again. I think this was one of the first fics where I stopped trying to sound like other people and just tried my best to bring out what was in my head. Written for the contrelamonte 'same dialogue, different scene' challenge.

3. 'Ulysses'
(Lord Of The Rings RPS, Sean Bean/Viggo Mortensen, PG)
This is a really short fic, but I quite like this one. Like I said, I judge how much I like something I've written by how much cringing I do after it's been posted for a while.


Day 2

In your own space, post a rec for at least three fanworks that you did not create. Drop a link to your post in the comments. See if you can rec fanworks that are less likely to be praised: tiny fandoms, rare pairings, fanworks other than stories, lesser known kinks or tropes. Find fanworks that have few to no comments, or creators new to a particular fandom and maybe aren't well known or appreciated. Appreciate them.

1. The Jamie and Michael series by [personal profile] ninemoons42 
(X-Men: First Class RPS, Genderbend, Jamie McAvoy/Michael Fassbender)
I tend not to read XMFC RPS (because James is married) and I also previously wasn't a fan of genderbend. The whole Jamie and Michael arc came about because we were joking about Fassy saying it's a kink for him to get his ass kicked by a girl, and the feisty Jamie McAvoy was born. PJ writes both of them so wonderfully and this is currently one of my favourite series.

2. 'The Time Series' by kannibal
(X-Men: First Class, Alex, Darwin, Sean, Angel, Hank, Raven, Charles/Erik, G) 
Fanart
I absolutely love Keio's drawings. They have their own fierce, bold personality, and you'd recognise her style anywhere. While she has drawn so many things I love, my absolute favourite has to be her Time series, which she draws when she gets artist's block. It's based on a Tom Waits song, and what I love about it is how each artwork is a melancholic snapshot of each character and how they relate to their mutation. I'm rubbish at describing it, so just take a look for yourself. My favourite is definitely the one of Alex.

3. 'Five Times Arthur Kissed Under The Mistletoe (And One Time He Sort Of Didn’t) by [archiveofourown.org profile] xsilverdreamsx 
(Inception, Eames/Arthur, PG)
This was written as an Xmas present for me, and I was so pleasantly surprised because Silaana is excellent at keeping a secret. I got into the Inception fandom two years too late, and Silaana was happy to guide me through it and pass me recs. Still, I have feelings for this fic that I don't have for any others. It's incredibly sweet, funny, sort of crack-ish and I could imagine a dimpled Arthur finally getting to kiss Eames under the mistletoe. Yes, I'm a shameless fluff addict and Silaana gifted that to me in spades in this fic.

4. The 'Don't Fall In Love' series by [archiveofourown.org profile] eleveninches 
(Inception, Eames/Arthur, NC-17)
I have a weakness for fics that are 1. very well-characterised 2. laugh-out-loud funny and 3. scorching hot. This series hits all my buttons, and there were several times I had to pause while reading and grumble that I wouldn't be able to write anything this awesome in 5 lifetimes.


Day 3

Comment to someone you haven't ever interacted with before. Afterwards, leave a comment in this post with the equivalent of "I did it!" 

It doesn't have to be anything complex - it can be feedback for a fanwork or discussing something you might have in common or even simply admiring their icon. The point is to reach out to someone you normally wouldn't and connect with them, even if it's only for the briefest moment.


Done! I've always admired kaydeefall 's works, but I've never really commented properly on her fics. One of my fannish resolutions for 2012 is to be better at commenting and giving feedback., so I've gone ahead and left a comment on my favourite story of hers.


Day 4

Introduce yourself to someone you admire and friend/follow them on whatever platform you use - journal or Twitter or Tumblr or whatever. Afterwards, leave a comment in this post with the equivalent of "I did it!" 

Done! Someone else I've always admired is [archiveofourown.org profile] nekosmuse  and I've also been terrible at leaving her feedback. She now has a Tumblr and I've happily followed her, feel free to do the same! I tried sending her Fan Mail to say hi, but Tumblr gave me some crap about 'you've not been following this user long enough.' Buh? 


Day 5 

In your own space, share something non-fannish you are passionate about with your fannish friends. Leave a comment in this post saying you did it. Include a link to your post if you feel comfortable doing so.

Eh....other than fandom, the things I'm very passionate about are music and travel. There's nothing I like better than taking off on a trip to a music festival like Coachella. When I was 19, I went to Japan on my own to follow a band who were touring the country. It was a bit scary, but ever since then I've been suffering from a huge case of wanderlust.

I am also obsessed with The Simpsons and Futurama. *facepalm*


Day 6

In your own space, rec at least 3 fanworks you thought you wouldn't like (because they weren't your fandom or they pushed against your boundaries or you thought you just wouldn't be interested) and that you ended up loving.

1. 'Gravitational Pull' by [archiveofourown.org profile] heresie_irisee 
(X-Men: First Class, Charlotte/Erika, R) 
Kink: Genderbend
To be honest, I never thought I'd ever like genderbend. Of course, all it takes is the right story and the right author to show you the error of your ways, and this was one of the fics that put an end to my curiosity regarding why people like genderbend. This is amazingly characterised (even better than some Charles/Erik fics) and you can see why the author decided to write them as women, and how their personalities are affected. The result is not a feminised Charles and Erik, but instead it's like those wacky glasses in 'National Treasure' that let you see an entirely different facet of the same map/picture. 

2. 'Thirty Six Hours And Fifteen Minutes' by [archiveofourown.org profile] leupagus 
(Hawaii 5-0, Steve/Danny, NC-17)
This is here because I'm definitely not in the H50 fandom, but someone recced this to me and I was blown away by how well-written and funny it was. Even though I don't know much about the fandom, you don't need to in order to understand what's going on. This is how I feel men really behave and talk. Fantastic.

3. 'Wisteria' by anon
(X-Men: First Class, Charles/Erik, NC-17)
I normally steer clear of angst, but this fic has a special place in my heart as it's the very first XMFC fic I ever read (and one of the best, to be honest.) The author never did come forward and de-anon, but this is one of the definitive fics in the fandom for me. If you have to read one sad, angsty canon story with no fix-it, make it this one. Achingly beautiful. (I also happen to know this is the same author who wrote 'And These, From Atoms'. It is seriously astounding how someone can write so beautifully and not come forward to receive the kudos she so clearly deserves.)


Day 7

In your own space, create a list of at least three fannish things you'd love to receive, something you've wanted but were afraid to ask for - a fannish wish-list of sorts. Drop a link to your wish-list in this post. Maybe someone will grant a wish. Maybe you will grant a wish. If any wishes are granted, we'd love it if you link them to this post.

Um, I've been extremely, extremely lucky to receive a number of gifts from some very generous people, so I don't quite know what to ask for. 

After thinking it over, I would be really happy and grateful if someone did the following:

1. A podfic/fanmix for anything I've written
2. There's a XMFC fandom meet-up that [livejournal.com profile] arcapelago and I are trying to get off the ground in April, and I hope for more than 5 people to show up. For more info, just leave a comment here or email me.
3. For people to try the Snowflake Challenge on their own. Or if this is too much, take a moment to de-lurk and tell someone you admire their art, their fic, their photos, their manips...anything, really. 


Day 8

In your own space, talk about a talent (or talents) you have. Everyone's got something they're good at. Leave a comment in this post saying you did it. Include a link to your post if you feel comfortable doing so.

I am really extraordinarily gifted at forgetting stuff. It's amazing how quickly I'll forget something, which has both its good and bad points. The good part is that if I'm annoyed or upset, I'll forget it quite quickly. The bad part is that I drive everyone around me batshit crazy.

Another thing about me is that I can play a variety of instruments, ranging from the guitar (although it sounds like someone is playing it with a comb of bananas) to the drums to the glockenspiel.

If you come to the XMFC fandom meet-up in April, you'll get to see me make an arse of myself! :D


(Okay, I'm continuing Day 9 - 15 in a bit...)